Tuesday 30 October 2012

30 October 2012

86 lbs!  Woo Hoo!  I've now undone all the damage from my holiday and lost a couple more lbs.

We did a trip over to Powys Castle on Sunday.  What a great place!  The weather still wasn't great but it wasn't quite as dull as it was a couple of weeks ago.  Here are a few more pictures:

A peacock, strutting his stuff.  I think the peacocks had the long tail feathers a couple of weeks ago, so they must have molted.

 
Peahen with chicks.  Peachicks, maybe?  I don't think I've ever seen the chicks before :-)



The doors to the old Carriage House.  This wasn't open the last time I was here but this time we got to see the carriage, along with some livery and harnesses and a short video of the carriage.


Detail on the top of one of the down spouts.  All these looked like lead and I think some of the Herbert family fortune came from lead.  There were quite a variety of things, although there were a lot of dragons.


Family crest.

View of the castle from the gate; it was a rather dull day.


I think I read this time that it was the 6th Earl (the current Earl is the 8th) who gifted Powys Castle to the National Trust.  The family still have an apartment there and all the stuff inside (and there is quite a bit of stuff inside!) still belongs to the family.  They don't allow pictures inside but the new guide book was available this trip.  I was amazed at how much I didn't notice the last time!

It rained cats and dogs on the way over and the way back but it wasn't raining while we were there.  The National Trust always has very nice tea rooms at their properties and Powys is no exception.  I was diet-friendly and had a lovely bowl of tomato and basil soup--without the bread!  The other choice was carrot and rosemary, which was very tempting but the t & b won out.  It was pretty tasty!

I had several 8x10 prints done from my travels around Britain this year and got those dropped off for the photo contest on base.  I wasn't going to show any this time--they always hurt my feelings--but Greg talked me into it.  After the one year where they picked a picture of a horse's eyeball, I haven't shown any in a while.

Tomorrow night, I'm off to Bolsover Castle for a Halloween ghost walk.  Should be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment